Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kempsey to Fredrickton

23rd April : Some weary legs carried me through Kempsey to Fredrickton today. Some of the Melbourne-Sydney cyclist group found me and gave me an avocado. It's great to cross paths again.

Letter : Camped in long grass just off the highway I awoke a few times with sore legs. The miracle mineral suppliment I've been taking is only succeding to turn my urine an entertaining rainbow colour. I've come to the conclusion that these sore legs have something to do with walking 30-40km day in day out.
About halfway between Port and Kempsey a cyclist stopped to chat. His $50 bike was regularly losing its chain. He considered it well worth the 53km effort for a cup of tea and a cigger' with his sister in Port.
Later that morning a splinter group from the Otesha cyclists (Melb-Syd) came across me, riding north to Lennox Head. These pleasant coincidences five my days an interesting edge, a reason to be memorable. Cyclists themselves are crazy! Back in the day a swagman on a bike was affectionately known as a 'ball-bearing bum'. It was great to hear they'd had a safe journey and that we'd have a chance to catch up again soon.
On the way into Kempsey I had an offer of a place to stay, but unfortunately out of my way. There had been an accident so I ended up walking faster than most of the vehicle traffic into town.
Paying for my groceries was interesting. The young woman checked the validity of my currency and asked to check my bag before saying the obligitory 'have a nice day!' I guess I looked a bit rough after sleeping in the scrub and walking 30km to Kempsey. I'm at a hotel bar wondering if I have another 10km in my legs out in the cool night air.

No comments:

Post a Comment