Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Made it!

11th May : Well yes, I've made it to Brisbane in time for tea and biscuits. Beyond Brisbane lies Mitchelton where I'm camped til it's all sunk in. Except for some dinner engagements there's no place to be tomorrow and it's a bit daunting. For now I'm thinking about the pint of Guinness at hand. JJ Cale is playing and I'm here.

Letter

Maybe you could say that every day of my journey had been leading up to this day - 'Do-it Day'. It felt no different to any other in so many ways. Perhaps I expected to be excited?

Through some of the less priviledged suburbs of the south I came to wonder how some places and people came to be that way. I had no answers, only questions. Through headache, sore feet and other random pains I trudged the inhospitible glary bikeway. The skies offered a welcoming cool sprinkle as I passed through the CBD. It was a comfort to be amongst such familiarity.

At one point I had an idea to find a dry spot to rest. Within a minute of sitting at a bus stop there was an outpour of Brisbane rain which drenched everything except for this intuitive swaggie.

Arriving in Brisbane could be considered an anti-climax if I'd expected anything to have changed profoundly, or if I'd expected a rousing reception. There was no explosive ending to my adventure. The only huge reward was to see my good friends again. I rewarded myself along the way and didn't feel a great need to help myself to anything more than quiet contentment.

The experience itself has marked a point in my life from which I will draw personal inspiration from. The memory is a lifetime of reward. For now I'll lay low and enjoy the achievement. Soon it will become clear what my next journey will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment