Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Coffs Harbour

26th April : It's strange to be indoors at a mates place in Coff's Harbour, but refreshing to be in such warm company. I was almost falling asleep walking as I waltzed the highway. Some big days catching up with me.

Letter

As I walked the highway I recalled how one curious mind asked what I did while I walked. Well, I've tried playing eye-spy but the game never lasts very long. I sometimes calculate distances and times based on hom many seconds it takes a car to go from me to the next hill or bend, but by the time I've arrived at a figure I'll be walking past it. Most often while I walk I'll think about more interesting ways to answer questions like 'what do I do when I'm walking?'

With a few obvious joint and muscle aches I turn to consider tomorrow as a rest day. The last day I tried to rest the whole day was in Newcastle. Instead, I helped out by moving a tree stump. It weighed about three times my height and it was to be moved about 100metres up a shear cliff where it would look prettier. I started by hoisting it onto my shoulder but that seemed a bit easy so I took a deep breath, brushed my whiskers aside and sunk my teeth into the wood, then I dragged it like a lion with prey. When I was done I picked a few splinters out of my gums and used them as tooth picks, I wiped the sweat from my brow and gave a tarzan style jungle cry. Then, to clear the wood pile I did it another five times. On the sixth trip I accidently bit into a tree still attached to the ground. I'd dragged it 10metres, limb, roots and all before I realised. Of course, if there had been an audience I wouldn't have used my teeth. That types of thing could could be considered as showing off.

At Urunga I paid for some groceries and realised I'd probably spent the last of my Grandmother's inheritance money. As I recall she was none too pleased with some of my lifestyle choices, but the money helped fund my trip and let me buy a meal for some of my dearest mates. I guess I'm now spending money I'd earnt when I was last gainfully employed as the Camp Warden at a festival, about 2years ago.

Arriving in Coffs Harbour, it was comforting to be meeting up with a mate. At about 400km to Brisbane it's not just my legs that need a break, but my motivations need a revival. What used to pick me up gets distracted now. It feels like I'm getting close and it should be easy from here, but it's still a fair distance left to go. Without motivation I don't move a single step closer and if the momentum is lost, I could easily fall into a messy heap of flesh and bones. So occasionally I remind myself 'if I don't move from here I'll die'.

No comments:

Post a Comment